“Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be” -Abraham Lincoln
There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state to another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is but able to experience supreme happiness. What is happiness? It is a feeling of inner peace and satisfaction. It is usually experienced when there are no worries, fears or obsessing thoughts and this usually happens, when we do something we love to do or when we get, gain or achieve something that we value. If somebody says good about us we feel great and if somebody says bad about us our day is ruined. Why we are dependent on external force to be happy? Why we let our happiness be determined by outer forces. We ourselves should take charge of our happiness and well-being of our mental-state. Can it be done? Yes training our mind for it. Many people make the mistake of believing that they don’t deserve happiness and accept their unhappy state as their destiny. The truth of the matter is that happiness, like anything else in life, needs to be nurtured.
- Don’t think about trivial issues.You are too precious to be stressed. It is not what happens to you, but it is how you perceive it and how you react or respond to it that makes the difference. We have to understand that happiness and distress is a constant flow in material life. We are affected by it only if we identify with it.
- Think good and feel good about yourself.You happiness is your responsibility. All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within. Take the life as it comes. One of the best ways to keep it is by gaining inner peace through daily meditation. As the mind becomes more peaceful, it becomes easier to choose the happiness habit.
- Nothing is permanent.Happiness is nothing more than good health and bad memory. Actually, what people need to be happy is right inside them, at all times, regardless of whatever trials and challenges may happen outside and around them. We need to focus not on the future but on what is happening right now. Trying to change things beyond your control will only frustrate you. Recognize what you can and can’t control, and focus solely on things you can control.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.This is hard to do, but it can be great way to accept who you are and what you have. Whenever you find yourself comparing yourself to a co-worker, a friend, or someone famous, stop and realize that you are different, with different strength. You have to compete with yourself Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations. Jealousy and anger will breed only unhappiness. Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
- Count your blessing.Look at the person who is less privileged. There are so many things we should be grateful for, but we often forget them. When you realize how blessed you are, you will certainly be happier.
- Giving is getting.Giving is an essential key to happiness. While we often think we will be happier when we receive, the truth is we are happier when we give. Happiness is like a kiss…you must share it to enjoy it.
- Surround yourself with happy people.It is easy to begin think negatively when you are surrounded by people who think that way. Conversely, if you are around the people who are happy their emotional state will be infectious.